Friday, 21 November 2008

Creative Genius vs Technology

Well, if there's one thing today has proven (thus far, anyway) it's that the old adage that genius is 20% inspiration and 80% perspiration is most certainly true.

I hold my hands up and say that I am, by no means, the most patient person on the face of the planet. In actual fact, it would probably be quite reasonable to suggest the opposite to be true. Quite regularly, you'll find me with my head in my hands, staring at my computer screen in abject horror, wondering why something has happened (or equally as often why something has NOT happened!) and how the bloody hell to fix it. Today, unsurprisingly, is absolutely no exception. Yet again, I am staring at the screen and wondering why exactly it is that one browser out of the seven I'm testing has taken the initiative to ignore what I've told it to do and is just going to go off and do it's own thing because it can.

I have no objections to a minor rebellion, or showing the initiative, in actual fact, I'm rather fond of both ... but not when it comes to technology. Then I'm all for the 'I tell you what to do, and you do it' approach. Any techie-geek who gives you an answer of 'You put garbage in, you get garbage out' (GOGO for your reference) has never had the pleasure of dealing with Internet Explorer 6 and its capacity for transgression. As browsers go, it's an adolescent. Thinks it knows everything and gets it all wrong in a blase, 'well I don't care, they'll pick up after me anyway' kind of a way and has a very messy bedroom.

The only coherent thought that's getting me through the afternoon is (a) Chocolate and (b) the fact that I get to go on a photography expedition to Oxford tomorrow with a friend - possibly my last before the great relocation - which will be interspersed with visits to hidden away Oxfordian cafes for brownies and icecream and no mention of computers whatsoever. I'll post the photos when I get back ...

I am even more excited because I've just had a call from the lady who alters my boots to say that they are ready for collection, and they're absolutely gorgeous and I am really very excited. I am slightly (read very) wide in the calf and to finally find somewhere that makes boots for us wider-calved ladies is something very special indeed and quite enough to keep me smiling away to myself, no matter what the day has to throw at me.

Happy Friday ....

2 comments:

secondhandshopper said...

That messy bedroom comment made me LOL at my desk - which is not great as my colleagues now want to know what's so funny about Y3 science resources...

Loving the boots!

ElementalGrace said...

Quite honestly, I could become evangelical about Duo boots and these in particular. They are the nicest thing I have ever put on my legs. I don't even want to take them off to go to bed!