Saturday, 31 January 2009

Updating for a new life in the country

Where I live, being woken up my animal noise is not unusual: dogs whining, cows lowing ... it's all part of the patchwork of living out in the country and I love it. I was surprised though to be woken up by the sound of a cat miowing. I don't have a cat, and couldn't work out where the noise was coming from until I peeked at the doorway to see a little white kitten staring at me. Well, as my dog would have cheerfully eaten the poor fella for breakfast, I scooted out of bed and locked him away before trying to get the little kitty outside before working out where he'd come from. It completely baffled me as I lock all the doors and windows until I remembered the catflap. The poor chap's locked out now but better that than spending breakfast inside the jaws of my greyhound!

Well, there's not a lot to tell just yet on the progress of the house, but the anticipation is building as things are starting to finally get underway.

A nice lady from Freecycle is coming to pick up my Sofa and Chair today (Sorry Caroline!) so we'll have nothing to sit on for a couple of days until the new sofabed and chair are delivered. They're going to be very pretty (especially once I get going with the cushions after my trip to the Haberdashers in Glastonbury) and I can vouch for the fact that they'll be super comfy too:



I have almost chosen the pieces for the bathroom, and am set to buy them next week, at a knock down price thankfully because my ever so kind kitchen designer has offered to show me round some wholesalers and get me a trade discount. Isn't that a lovely and sweet thing to do? Thanks Roland. I can't wait to show that off but you'll have to wait until it's in situ as I don't have any photos.

I've dismissed the two builders that were recommended to me, one because his quote was a good £3k above the others for no reason I could work out, and the other because I just didn't trust him. He only cast a cursory glance over the house and then walked off saying 'yeah, yeah that'll be fine' before I even got to the end of the list. The bloke I think I'm going to go with has provided me with some strong client references, a good price, seems as thorough as me when looking around the house and looks me in the eye when he talks to me. Maybe it's an old fashioned thing but I do like dealing with someone who has a firm handshake and can look me in the eye. He can start in a fortnight, so there will soon be some pictures up of the demolition and rebuild in progress *bounce* and in 6 weeks, everything should be tickety boo and I will be over the moon.

Still another 4 weeks until the furniture's ready *sigh* but until then, we're making do. I feel a trip to the second hand emporium coming on though and I'll be happily posting bits and pieces until then.

Toodle pip.

No comments: