Saturday, 21 February 2009

Filling the Void...

Since my hands are a little tied with the actual decoration of the house (on account of small things like building and demolition) I have been fiddling with small, pretty things...

My kitchen table and chairs arrived the other week. That is to say, being strictly accurate, that my table arrived, along with some sticks of wood. The chap who sold it to me doesn't seem even vaguely interested in sorting it out (I feel like I ought to be suprised, but somehow, I'm not) so in the meantime I picked up a few lovely kitchen stools at the Wells trading post for a mere £8 each and painted them aquamarine, which you can see below.


I've also been busy, putting up mirrors and generally picking up lovely bargains and digging things out of boxes and hanging them on walls. Lots of fun, especially when I end up covered in paint. There is something about being covered in paint that irrevocably takes you back to childhood ...


An old picture frame I painted aquamarine and framed a very good friend of mine's art

The rather sweet rocking chair I picked up at the Trading Post. Eventually, it's going to go in the bathroom


A slightly fabulous find, again from the trading post. It's a vintage 40's cabinet and the colours go perfectly with my colour scheme.

This used to be a really dull old corkboard. I think the fruity fabric really livens it up - it looks so cute, I almost don't want to hang anything on it!

I got this mirror from ebay from a guy who does this sort of work down in Cornwall. It looks great in the evening with the candles balanced on the sticking out bits and the flames reflected in the mirror

This is my bedroom mantelpiece, with the lovely mirror that my sister got me hanging on the wall, and some of my favourite photos in the frames she got me on the mantel. Awe :)

7 comments:

Blueberry Heart said...

wow, your place is looking really great! you've obviously been putting in a fair old bit of hard work!!
LOVE the mirrors!
Enjoy rest of the weekend!
BHx

Gina @ Six in the Country said...

I love that aquamarine color -- such a bold, beautiful way to make a great statement! And, I agree, the corkboard looks lovely with the fabric!

Donna said...

I just love the blues you are decorating with!!! And also love that cream rocker! Thanks for the wishes for some warm weather - it's actually going to climb into the 50's this weekend! Yippeee!!... Donna @ An Enchanted Cottage

ElementalGrace said...

Thanks for all the comments!

BH - Slowly but surely it's starting to come together. Once the bathroom is in, I'm allowed to start painting it. I will be posting pics of it as is to see what people think would work ...

Gina - Thanks for your sweet comments :) Do drop by again soon.

Donna - Thanks, I love it too. It's called Lagoon by a company called Zoffany. And I pray for it to hit the mid-seventies every day! I am such a summer person - I really don't do winter!

secondhandshopper said...

We have the same colour scheme. Which roughly translates as: I WANT that 40s cabinet. I don't care how small my place is, I will MAKE room for it!

Also, the rocking chair is fabulous!

ElementalGrace said...

Thanks Caroline!!

Would it delight or disturb you to know that there is a larger cabinet at the Trading Post in EXACTLY the same style? It pretty much has your name on it :)

secondhandshopper said...

Hmmm - am thinking you haven't seen my flat in person yet. I guess if I could suspend it outside the kitchen window somehow?! :D