Sunday, 15 February 2009

Love and Freedom in a Little City

I've been trying to find a coherent way of writing this blog for a while. I have been thinking swirling abstract thoughts about it for a while, in an effort to explain what made me up sticks and move to a place where I don't have a job, I don't know anyone and I don't know the area.

Well, I was in a job I hated, in a house I didn't want to live in, in a small village where many of the people were somewhat less than friendly. My friends were scattered far and wide around the country, and indeed, the globe and there was nothing much pulling me anywhere, apart from instinct. Whispers inside me that said ... 'go on, try it, see if you can be happy there'. Lord knows I'd tried a lot of other places and so why not? I dragged myself from place to place, waiting for somewhere that felt right. I stepped into Wells and found it. Perhaps it was nothing more than instinct, and perhaps it was destiny that called me here. I don't know. All I do know is the moment I stepped out of the car and into the house, it felt like home and where I had to be. I gave up the job and everything that went with it and moved.

There are people, I suppose, who would look at this from a distance and say 'well she's just running away'. Perhaps so, but it depends very much on what you're running away from. I wasn't running from myself or my own unhappiness but from a life that didn't suit me. I was running towards my dream, towards a home, towards a future. And to my mind, there is precious little wrong with that. What's wrong with risking a little to chase a dream? New jobs can be found and friends can be made if there are like minds about.

And I suppose it leads us to the fact that I am sitting in my living room on a Sunday morning, on my new sofa, with a bath propped up angainst one wall, over 25 square metres of tiles along another, a massive box of fabric that a lady down the road gave me. There are carboard boxes everywhere and newspaper spread out over the floor to protect the carpet from the attentions of my poorly new dog who has kennel cough. I still don't have any work, but I'm working on some promotional stuff and crossing my fingers. I still don't have a cooker but somehow it seems not to matter overall. Somehow, I've never been happier.

So, here's to chasing your dreams ... and long may it continue.
xx

PS - Builders start tomorrow. I am soooooo excited :)

No comments: